Sunday, September 5, 2010

Next Steps

I'm feeling just fine now. I've been off of all pain killers for a few days now and the staples are now medically ready to come out. They'll be extracted on Tuesday and then I'll have to rely on my scars for a conversation starter :). I'm spending the weekend with Mom in Buena Vista. I just got back from a run. The replacement thyroid hormone has actually given me more energy than before! The surgery site got a little agitated but no big issue.

I visited the Oncologist last week and now everything's scheduled for the mop up nuking operation. On October 6th I'll go take a tracer dose of I-131. The next day I'll sit under their scanner and any remaining cancerous thyroid cells will be illuminated. Based on the number and size of these hot spots they will administer an appropriate kill dose of I-131 which will kill any remaining cells. I'm told to be a little tired afterwards... not bad! I'm also to avoid contact with people, especially children after the therapeutic dose for a few days.

Dr. Book told me that the Endocrinologist would be the doctor responsible for this. Since I haven't been able to get an appointment with her (Mrs. Dr. Book) I'm happy to have Dr. Markus pushing forward. There may be some conflict and intersection of roles during the hormone replacement tuning... we'll see.

So I've got staples in my neck, a giant scar, I can't feel the skin at the surgical site (yet), I have to take a pill full of nuclear waste , I still have to get settled into a dosage of thyroid replacement, yet all I can think was : that wasn't so bad :).

2 comments:

  1. Good positive attitude, Kurt! Very impressive going for a run. Maybe I need an increase in my thyroid med. I cant even get the energy to walk to your grandmas house to look in on Libby while grandma is away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did your staple removal go? I remember well the joys of staple removal... in my neck and other places... and I have that to look forward to with my 3rd C-Section too. At least that scar isn't so visible!

    It seems like you are having fun with your scar. That's what I always say about my "battle wounds" from cancer. Have fun with it, it just shows people how strong you really are! And the stories you get to tell are fun too. You know. *After* you heal from the incident you are telling the story about!

    Have you started your actual thyroid replacement hormone, or are you still on "speed" for now? They just (last week) had to lower my dose of thyroid meds. Apparently that's why I wasn't sleeping and was shaky and hot all the time!

    You are a trooper. Sounds like you have had a crazy experience with this whole thing. I'm sure God has a purpose for allowing these things to happen... for me it seems like the reasons are the people I have been able to help and talk to about my experiences. After you have been in the trenches and have made your way out, you can help other people out of them too!

    Many good wishes for a full and speedy recovery for you!

    ReplyDelete